Sunday, August 24, 2014

Kissing Dolphins & Walruses

My sister, Shelby spent her summer working at the Indianapolis Zoo as an attendant at the Dolphin Theater. I have to throw in that I think this is her childhood coming full circle and that maybe the six-year-old version of myself did not destroy all balance in the universe by informing her she could not grow up to be a tiger.  After that apparently traumatizing and truth revealing day, my sister decided the next best thing was working in a zoo.  Nearly 20 years and two college degrees later, she found herself in a zoo for the summer.  While the job was not at all as glamorous as a four year old imagines, it did come with its perks which she was kind enough to share with even the crusher of children's dreams.

Yesterday, Shelby took Ronnie and I, along with my parents, and our friends the McCullough's on a behind the scenes adventure.  We started out in the dolphin arena petting, feeding, and even kissing four dolphins.  They were so full of energy and personality and seemed to love the attention we gave them as they chirped, squeaked, and whistled the whole time.

Next, we ventured to the walrus exhibit where a hungry Aurora and [800lb] little baby Puk were waiting.  We fed and petted them and let Aurora give us big whiskery suction cup kisses.  I think I may have a new favorite animal.

We had so much fun at our behind the scenes encounter and learned so much about our water-loving friends.  I can't wait to visit them again on our next trip to the zoo!







No comments: