Monday, June 2, 2008

On the way to the airport....

So I thought I would tell about what happened when Ronnie and I were on the way to the airport the other day (Sunday). Ronnie had spent five or six days with me during the RAD Graduation. After a very fun last week with the students and tearful goodbyes after church, Ronnie and I hopped in the car and left for the airport. Along the way, we got stuck with our little old Honda in a major traffic jam. As time slowly inched by the temperature gage on the poor little car quickly climbed. Soon the smell of burning rubber began to fill the air and I was forced to take the next exit into unfamiliar Atlanta territory. There was no gas station in site and we finally settled for a small, run down mini-mart off a beaten down road. Ronnie ran inside as I [courageously] waited outside with the car and valuables. Soon after he went in, A tall black man in clothes 10 sizes too big approached the car. I slowly reached one hand over to the key and the other to my cell phone. The man mumbled too himself and walked away. I breathed a sigh of relief as Ronnie ran outside to my rescue. The man mumbled away to Ronnie and tried to help him. Ronnie kindly explained that we needed no assistance and that we could handle the problem ourselves. The man left on his cell phone and slipped around the store corner. I began to beg Ronnie to close the hood so we could leave. He said he just needed another minute. Within minutes a car pulled up and the man ran to greet them. Some chattering could be heard across the lot as another man, this one much more scroungy than the first stepped out of the car and approached our little Honda. I gave Ronnie a demanding look and told him to close the hood, but before anything could be done, the two men were next to us. The second man, reached in his pocket and pulled out a small baggy filled with white pills. "How many boys you want?" he asked my dumbfounded boyfriend. "Excuse me???" Ronnie asked [in a shocked tone]. I gave Ronnie one look that said it all, and said it angrily, "GET IN THE CAR NOW." The two men stood there arguing about "You said he wanted some" and "I thought he did." I quickly sped away. What you cant tell from this writing is how much emotion was all in this 10 minute ordeal. There are no words.

End of story. well.... not really. but it gets better from there. Long story short Ronnie didn't make his stand by flights. He called me on his nearly dead cell phone to tell me (who was sitting in the airport lobby) that he made the flight, had to go, and he would call me from Chicago. "okay," I managed to stammer before he hung up. I slowly gathered my things and headed to the parking garage. So now I'm starting to feel sorry for myself, I mean, my boyfriend just left, I just said bye to all the students, and my roommates are soon leaving too. A tear makes it to my eye, but hasn't yet slid down my cheek when an arm wraps around my shoulder. I spin around to see *ta-da* my boyfriend (who I nearly hit. hard.)! So yea. We had another day. He made his flight on Monday morning. I do however blame Ronnie for any emotional unstable-ness I am now experiencing. What with all the "hello-goodbye-goodbye-oh hello again-goodbye"s. But it is worth it. I had a great time and we certainly made some memories.

1 comment:

The Osborne's said...

I was on the edge of my chair when I read about you adventure to the airport. I'm glad you got to spend some extra time with your boy.