Saturday, June 14, 2008

Docks and Ropes

I just thought I would share a bit of my devotional with ya'll. I read it last week and it has really spoken to me, so I have come back to it several times this week.
It is from "My Utmost for His Highest" by Oswald Chambers.

"Be determined to know more than others. If you yourself do not cut the lines that tie you to the dock, God will have to use a storm to sever them and to send you out to sea. Put everything in your life afloat upon God, going out to sea on the great swelling tide of His purpose, and your eyes will be opened. If you believe in Jesus, you are not to spend all your time in the calm waters just inside the harbor, full of joy, but always tied to the dock. You have to get out past the harbor into the great depths of God, and begin to know things for yourself--begin to have spiritual discernment..."

Lord, am I tied to a dock? What are the "docks" in my life? Is there something that I am holding onto (or that is holding onto me) that is hindering my relationship with you? I want so badly to break fee and depend only on you. Help me to trust you with every area of my life. Grant me the discernment that comes only from your throne. Help me, God, in this new chapter of my life, to grow in you and not to allow myself to run back to the familiar docks when the storms come.

No comments: