Friday, September 23, 2011

It's Not Easy Being Green

I decided to be big and bold and go by myself to a military spouse conference this week. It took place at a chapel on Fort Sam and lasted all day Thursday and Friday. Though I went into the conference worried about not knowing anyone, my fears were soon put to ease when I noticed that all the women where in the same boat. The conference was a lot of fun! There were several staff members from the WFSC there helping people to bond. Ms. Judith was the best. She is a sassy, sarcastic little woman who runs the WFSC. Her witty humor kept everyone on their toes.

After a large breakfast spread on Thursday morning, we listen to keynote speaker Cathy Haffner, author of "Better Because of You." She encouraged us all to dream big and think positive. Loved it.

Next, we split into our classes. I took Green Cleaning, Self-defense, and Salsa Dancing! Talk about out of my comfort zone! I enjoyed all the classes. I was excited to go home and try some of my home made cleaning supplies and to show Ronnie my new moves. ;)

Friday was another speaker, Leslie Mouton, a news anchor for San Antonio's ABC News. She shared her awe inspiring story of her battle with breast cancer that she bravely allowed to be a public part of her anchoring career. She was amazing.

My Friday classes included Couponing and Zumba. What fun! The couponing class inspired me to take my couponing up a notch (not not to extreme/hoarding mode) which will be my next blog. And Zumba... what an amazing workout!

Most of all, I loved the conference because I was able to meet so many other women who, like me, are military "dependents." But like Ms. Judith said, we may be "dependents" but military spouses are strong and don't depend on anyone!

I am so glad I broke out of my comfort zone and went to the 2011 "It's Not Easy Being Green" conference. I learned SO much.

No comments: